Former 60 Minutes producer and award-winning journalist Lowell Bergman will speak of his experiences in investigative journalism on Sunday, March 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Lewis Auditorium (14 Granada St.) on the Flagler College campus in St. Augustine.
Bergman is also a former senior producer and consultant to PBS’ Frontline and winner of a Pulitzer Prize, six duPont Awards, three Peabody Awards and an RFK Grand Prize.
His 60 Minutes investigation of the tobacco industry was dramatized in the Academy Award-nominated feature film The Insider, in which he was portrayed by Al Pacino.
The event if free and open to the public. For more information, call the Events Line: (904) 819-6400
The ESPN.com Editorial Intern will be responsible for editing content, with the primary focus on stories slated for ESPN.com Page 1 index. Candidates must show proficiency in editing for grammar and AP style and should be prepared to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. In addition to working directly with copy desk editors and editors in other departments daily, the internship will also provide exposure to other divisions of ESPN through job shadowing, offering an excellent opportunity for aspiring journalists to assess the inner workings of the company with an eye on potential career paths.
Responsibilities may include:
- Edit and polish freelance and staff-generated articles, checking for accuracy, proper grammar, style and appropriateness.
- Working with the Copy Chief and Senior Editors, intern will help to maintain standards and consistency in the stories published by ESPN.com.
- Candidate must have fundamental editorial judgment and an ability to balance conflicting priorities
- Previous experience at a student newspaper, magazine or television station
- At least one year of internship experience in a professional environment
- Experience as both a writer and editor Preferred Education
- Currently enrolled as a junior or senior in an accredited college/university
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR be currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program. Note: Once you have completed one consecutive year of employment on a Disney internship or program, there must be a minimum 6 month gap before the start of a new internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability, which will include nights, weekends and holidays
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
The length of this internship is 10 weeks, and Interns will work 40 hours per week. The approximate dates of this internship are June 8, 2015 – August 14, 2015. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: Subsidized housing is available on a first come, first serve basis for interns who live greater than 50 miles from work location.
For more information: https://social.icims.com/job/Editorial-Internship-ESPN-Summer-2015-Job-Bristol-CT-US-11751640.html?isd_source=email
The AppleCare College Program
· Still in college
· Work from home
Some benefits of working as a College Advisor benefits include a flexible work schedule, comprehensive paid training, and an iMac. You will also have full corporate benefits including up to $5,250 of tuition reimbursement per calendar year, paid time off, stock options, discounts, fitness reimbursement, and the potential to grow in a career at Apple.
All majors enrolled through May 2016 are encouraged to apply immediately, as virtual interviews are already underway . To submit your résumé, visit: http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html#aha_college
This position can also be found in Gator CareerLink under position #761175 and closes on March 31, 2015.
Don’t forget to check out Summer 2015 Internship opportunities with the Disney ABC Television Group. They are posted at https://social.icims.com/board/Disney-Professional-Internships-505.html?isd_source=email and include opportunities at ABC, ESPN and others. To be considered for any of our opportunities, candidates must apply online.
Under streamers of colored flags, a crowd of faculty, staff, alumni, students and guests gathered Tuesday morning to attend the official dedication ceremony of The Agency.
After months of preparation, the University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications is proud to announce the opening of its newly created full-service strategic communication agency.
“The Agency isn’t the vision of just one person,” Dean Diane McFarlin said today at the opening.
The idea for the integrated communication firm focused on the millennial sector began in August 2013, during the College’s annual faculty retreat. By October, Dean McFarlin commissioned a task force to develop an immersive entrepreneurial project for advertising and public relations students, as well as other College and University of Florida students with interests in strategic communications.
For more information, go to: http://www.jou.ufl.edu/news/2015/02/25/the-agency-opens-with-a-focus-on-millennials/
The UF-FAMU Small Farms and Alternative Enterprises Extension team (http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu) is seeking two marketing interns to assist with the marketing efforts to promote Regional Small Farms & Alternative Enterprises Conferences across Florida.
Preferred Skills and Requirements:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher, Adobe Design and Outlook
- Ability to utilize social media outlets
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize workload
- Brings innovative ideas
- Write and edit blog posts related to events, farms and people relevant to small farmer audience.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly newsletters for the small farm network.
- Support growth of social network relationships via YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Meet weekly with Project Coordinator or as needed to discuss progress on tasks.
- Assist in the production of publications: media guides, weekly notes, promotional flyers, etc.
- Assist with other tasks as needed.
- Part-time flexible hours (5-10 hours/week–variable) at $8 per hour rate
- Starting as soon as possible, with the commitment to continue working until late Fall semester preferred
- Work from home with meetings on campus
Please send cover letter, resume, and a 2-page writing sample to Jose Perez (Specialty Crops Program Coordinator/Horticultural Sciences Department/Gainesville) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls on the Run is a not-for-profit organization serving girls third through eighth grade in the greater Gainesville area. The after school program will be hosting two fundraising events in April, and an intern is needed to assist the volunteer staff with public relations, social media and event planning duties. PR efforts may extend into the summer for other program needs, such as fundraising campaigns and program recruitment.
An intern will be writing content for newsletter, emails and social media. He or she will also help communicate with sponsors and coordinate materials for the two events.
If you are passionate about empowering girls, experienced with events, creative and a great writer contact Megan Kimmel at email@example.com to apply for the internship. Send a resume and at least one writing sample.
Auditions for Noticias WUFT roles will be held right after spring break, so let’s get you scheduled! We will be holding auditions/interviews and auditions for *both* Summer and Fall semesters. If interested, please email Dr. Amy Jo Coffey directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling or questions. Roles available include: co-anchor, sports reporter/anchor, general assignment reporter, and writer (credits range from 1-3, depending on role). Spanish fluency is required.
Not only is Noticias WUFT a wonderful opportunity to serve our community, but “Noticias alumni” have benefitted tremendously from this opportunity, opening career doors at places like Univision, Telemundo, CNN en Español, CNN Radio, ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and The Nielsen Company, to name a few. Be part of the tradition! If you are interested in auditioning and interviewing for one of these roles, please email Dr. Coffey and she’ll get you scheduled!
After months of construction, the Agency is finally opening. Join us Tuesday, Feb. 24 at 11 a.m for the Agency Dedication Ceremony.