Marisa Gottesman, JOU 2013, on her Sun Sentinel internship

Published: September 10th, 2013

Marisa Gottesman

Marisa Gottesman

Marisa Gottesman, JOU 2013, spent the summer interning at the South Florida Sun Sentinel. She describes how her internship turned into a full-time job.

My name is Marisa Gottesman, and I graduated summa cum laude from the College of Journalism and Communications in May with a degree in journalism. Today, a few months after graduation, I am a full-time reporter for the South Florida Sun Sentinel. I cover the city of Delray Beach for the Palm Beach bureau of the paper.

Originally, I was hired as a summer intern at the Sun Sentinel. My first story appeared on 1A. I wrote about greyhound adoptions, a shelter for homeless women and posted pictures from the Miami Heat parade on Twitter.  Halfway through the summer, I found out a reporter was leaving the paper. She covered the city of Delray Beach. I asked what I could do to help out.

I covered city commission meetings, filled in where I could and even wrote about the new Trader Joe’s store that would be opening in Delray. My editor asked if I was interested in the position, and I said yes. They could have hired someone with years of experience, but they took a chance on a recent college grad.

Since I accepted the job, I’ve had several 1A stories and continued to cover city commission meetings. Look for my byline or follow me on Twitter. I am always around to answer any questions.

Follow Marisa on Twitter at @marisag_ss.

~Mina Radman